How To Disable the Caps Lock Key
Help Folder/Tips guy
- Make a copy of the System file (in your System Folder).
- Open the copy with ResEdit.
- Open the KCHR resource.
- Select one of the keyboard layouts (I used the U.S. System 6 layout).
- Choose Duplicate from the Edit menu.
- Highlight the duplicate and press Command-I.
- Name the new layout something like No Caps Lock.
- Open that layout by double-clicking.
- Press the Caps Lock key. You'll notice that the picture of the Caps Lock key onscreen darkens.
- Drag the lower case letters in the upper window to the appropriate spots on the picture of the keyboard (drag "a" to the "A" key).
- Close and save the window. Quit ResEdit.
- Name the altered system somthing like Altered System.
- Drag your real System out of the System Folder and replace it with Altered System (DON'T THROW AWAY YOUR OLD SYSTEM! You might need it again).
- Once Altered System is in the System Folder, rename it System.
- Restart your Mac.
- To get rid of Caps Lock, open the Keyboard control panel and select the No Caps Lock layout.
- Pushing Caps Lock will now seemingly have no effect.
This answer came as a result of a series of E-mail messages from someone (we'll call that person "Lee") who got a radically different answer (from someone we'll call Derrick). For a look at this alternative method, see this striking photo.